Tuesday, October 9, 2012

CD: The Good Fight



As most of you know I abhor grades and the common obsession with them, believing them an anti-educational distraction that infantilizes students and drains learning of its inherent joy. I build them into my courses only because the institutional structure demands it.

Imagine my delight, then, to find that even though you are all aware blogging constitutes a substantial component of the course, so many of you have chosen to ignore the consequences for your grades, presumably on principle, by declining to do it. Of course, I think blogging can foster and amplify engagement with the material and each other in a low-pressure and enjoyable manner, and would like to see it catch on in my courses. However, I cannot but admire many of you for the price you are prepared to pay to resist the assignment.

As you collectively pursue this virtuous campaign against the manifest injustice of being asked to blog, I do hope you’ll keep the rest of us informed of your efforts. Hey, you could even blog about it!

No comments: